Dell printers are used all over the world and are known for their solid build and reliability. Most Dell printers come with various connectivity options like: Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi Direct, etc. USB is an extensively adopted technology that allows us to plug network devices into our computers. Although it might look easy (plug and play), a printer that you connect to your computer might not show up due to several reasons (damaged USB, outdated printer drivers, partition issues, wrong file system, device conflicts, etc.). So, in this guide, we have answered your query - How to connect a Dell printer to a laptop with a USB cable?
STEPS TO CONNECT THE DELL PRINTER TO YOUR LAPTOP:
First, locate your printer's USB cable. Most Dell printers come with a cable packaged inside the box. If you don't have a USB cable, try to buy a good-quality USB cable from a genuine seller.
NOTE: Certain printer cables allow you to connect the printer to your laptop via a USB port, while others use a parallel port. USB ports are small, rectangular ports, while parallel ports are larger and have holes for several small pins so that they can connect with your laptop.
Ensure that you have loaded enough paper into the paper cassette.
Connect one end of the USB cable to the Dell printer and the other end to your laptop.
Check whether your laptop is able to detect the Dell printer.
If you have any trouble adding the printer, follow the below steps.
- Click on the Windows Start button.
- Type Control Panel in the search bar.
- Open the Control Panel window.
- Double-click the Printers or Printers and Faxes icon to display the list of printers available on your PC.
Furthermore, if your laptop is unable to detect your Dell printer, follow the below steps.
- Click on the Windows Start icon and type devices and printers in the search bar.
- You will see the list of printers that are connected to your PC or present within the range.
- Locate your Dell printer name.
- Right-click on your printer icon and click Remove Device.
- Wait for a few minutes and re-add the printer to your computer via the USB cable.
MAKE YOUR DELL PRINTER THE DEFAULT ONE:
- Once the printer is added, make sure that your Dell printer is set as the default one. Follow this path to do the same:
- Start button > Control Panel window > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Locate your Dell printer from the list.
- Right-click on the Dell printer name and select Set as default printer.
STEPS TO DOWNLOAD THE PRINTER DRIVERS:
Once you have successfully connected the Dell printer to your laptop, it's time to download the printer drivers. We have provided the generic steps that will apply to all Dell printers.
- Connect your laptop to the Internet.
- Open the default web browser.
- Go to the Dell printer's support page.
- Make sure that you land on the official Dell website (Avoid third-party websites).
- Click on View products.
- Select Printers.
- Choose your printer type under All products / Printers (Mono Laser Printers, Color Laser Printers, All-in-one Inkjet printers).
- Choose your Dell printer's model name from the list.
- However, you can use the search option to locate your Dell printer.
- Select the Keyword, Operating System, Category, and Format.
- Press the Enter key to view the printer drivers.
- Click the Download icon to save the Dell printer drivers on your PC.
Note: Depending on the printer model, the download size might be smaller or larger.
PRINTER DRIVER INSTALLATION PROCESS:
It's time to follow the below steps to install the printer drivers on your PC.
- Double-click on the downloaded setup file to begin the installation.
- Click Yes to proceed further.
- Verify the printer model number, the OS version, and click the OK button.
- Click Browse to choose the destination folder.
- Click Unzip.
- Click OK in the Win Zip Self Extractor dialog box.
- After a few seconds, you can see the Dell program.
Tip: If you have already connected the Dell printer to your laptop via a USB cable, then kindly unplug it. However, you can reconnect once the installation completes.
- Click the Next button.
- Read the End-user License Agreement and scroll down to read the whole agreement.
- Click Yes.
- Select the Default components and click the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- In the end, you can see the window saying - Dell printer has been successfully installed.
- Click the Finish button.
- Restart your computer.
- Once booted successfully, connect the printer via a USB cable.
So, we have given a detailed guide on how to connect a Dell printer to a laptop with a USB cable. If you have any doubts, call our technicians.