On this page, we will show you how to perform the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 setup in detail.HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 is an affordable all-in-one printer designed for small home and office use. This thermal inkjet printer provides excellent professional-quality printouts at a reasonable price. It comes with some cool features like:
- Auto duplex printing.
- Wireless printing.
- HP Instant Ink eligible.
- LCD panel with IR touch function.
- Mobile printing solutions.
- Web service support.
Like any other OfficeJet printer, the setup process of this printer is straightforward.
Begin the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 setup process by unpacking. Turn on the printer. Set the preferences as per your needs. Complete the printer’s hardware setup by following the prompts displayed on the screen. Finally, connect your printer to the computer over a wired, wireless, or USB cable connection and install the printer driver on the connected PC to finish the setup.
SETTING UP THE HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 PRINTER- COMPLETE GUIDE
In this step-by-step guide, we will be taking you through the process of setting up the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer for the first time.
Preparing the printer
- Open the product box if you haven’t opened it yet.
- You can find a set of genuine HP ink cartridges, the HP Instant Ink card, a quick setup sheet, a setup CD/ROM, and a power cord.
- Take all the components and the printer out of the box.
- Remove the printer from the packing cover and place it on a neat surface.
- Gently peel off all the packing tapes present inside and outside the printer.
- Ensure that the packing materials present on the scanner glass are removed.
- Place the unpacked printer closer to an electrical outlet.
Turning on the printer
- Get the power cord shipped along with the printer.
- Now, connect one end (small end) of the cord into your printer’s inlet.
- Next, connect the other end of the power cord to an active electrical outlet.
- Press the Power button. Now, The HP logo appears on your printer screen.
- Wait for your printer to become stable and idle.
- Once the printer becomes stable and ready to use, the screen asking you to choose the device language will open.
- Select the desired language by tapping on it.
- Now, tap Confirm to continue the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 setup.
- Similarly, choose date/time, country or region, etc., and save them.
Installing the ink cartridges
- Open your printer’s access door.
- Unpack the ink cartridges.
- Ensure that the orange tape from the cartridges is removed.
- Remove the orange part from the cartridges by twisting it counterclockwise until it snaps off.
- Now, install all the unpacked cartridges into their slots.
- Ensure that the cartridges are installed properly and close the door.
- Tap OK on the Instant Ink screen.
- Wait for the HP printer to recognize the cartridges.
- Once it is done, the Load Paper screen will open.
- Pull out the input tray.
- Raise the output tray.
- Move the width guides to the ends.
- Get a stack of unused, plain paper and load it into the tray.
- Adjust the guides properly.
- Reinsert the input tray into the printer and lower the output tray.
- Tap OK > Done.
Aligning the ink cartridges
- The " Align the printer " screen automatically opens once you install the ink cartridges and load paper into the tray.
- Tap the OK button on the screen that displays.
- Now, your printer will start printing the alignment page.
- Ensure that the output tray’s extender is opened.
- Place the printed alignment page (with its print-side facing down) on the scanner glass.
- Tap Scan to scan the alignment page.
- By your printer completing the alignment process, the printer’s hardware setup is complete.
Installing the printer software
- Choose the connection type you wish to use to connect your printer to the computer.
- Run the recommended printer driver for your OS type on the computer from the setup CD/ROM or the downloaded driver folder.
- Complete the 6978 printer setup by following the rest of the instructions displayed on the screen.
Congratulations! The HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 setup process has been completed successfully.
*Note: Scroll down this page to know how to set up your printer over a wireless or USB cable connection.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 DRIVER
The printer driver is an important component that plays a major role in helping you to communicate with the printer from your Windows or Mac computer. The driver availability may vary based on the OS type you’re using.The setup CD/ROM provided along with the printer during the purchase contains almost all the necessary drivers. You can also download the needed printer driver from the printer’s support page. Continue reading this page to know more about the procedure.
- Visit the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer’s support page.
- Click on the Drivers, Software, and Firmware tab followed by the GO button.
- Now, your current OS type will be auto-detected by the Software and drivers page.
- If you wish to download the printer driver for the OS type other than the current one, click on the Choose a different OS command and select the preferred operating system.
- Locate the recommended printer driver for the selected OS type and select it.
- Click the Download command beside the selected driver to download it.
- Once the selected driver is downloaded, you can begin the software installation on your computer.
DRIVER FOR MAC
The HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer drivers available for Mac are:
You can download these printer drivers from the printer’s support page by referring to the instructions given in the previous section.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 MANUAL
The printer manual contains all the information, including the printer parts, the wireless setup, and the basic troubleshooting solutions. A hard copy of the manual is provided along with the printer during the purchase. Follow the instructions below to download a soft copy of your printer’s manual.
- Go to your printer’s official support page.
- Click on the Manuals tab.
- Now, the list of manuals available for your printer will be displayed under the Manuals section.
- Select the manual you need.
- Now, the selected one will open within your browser’s PDF viewer.
- Click the Download icon to download it.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 SETUP VIA USB
Perform the simple instructions below if you wish to set up your printer over a USB cable connection.
- Initially, ensure that your Pro 6978 printer is not connected to the computer over a wireless, wired, or USB cable connection.
- Next, turn on the printer and your computer.
Using the HP Smart app
- Download and install the HP Smart app on your computer.
- Open the app and click the Add a New Printer button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When prompted, connect your printer to the computer using the USB cable.
- Finish the USB setup process by following the on-screen instructions.
Using HP Easy Start
- Download and run the HP Easy Start driver file on your computer.
- Select USB and when prompted, connect your Pro 6978 printer to the computer using USB.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 SETUP VIA WIRELESS
You can set up your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer over a wireless network using its control panel. To know more about the same, continue reading this page.
Preparing the printer and the wireless router
- Initially, ensure that your printer’s hardware setup is completed and is ready for the wireless setup.
- Next, see if the wireless router (you’re using for the Wi-Fi setup) is turned on and connected to a stable Internet connection.
- Gather your network’s credentials if you have no idea about them.
- Ensure that the printer is placed closer to your router.
- Temporarily disable the antivirus software or the firewall setting on your network.
Connecting the printer to your wireless network
- Open the Dashboard on your printer.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Select the Settings option followed by Wireless Settings.
- Now, two different options (Wireless Setup Wizard and Wi-Fi Protected Setup) will be displayed on the screen.
- Pick any one of these options as per your preference.
- Connect the HP 6978 printer to the wireless network by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
- Once done, connect your computer to the same network and install the printer software to finish the Wi-Fi setup.
Changing the connection type
Let’s assume you wish to connect your printer to the computer over a wireless network that is already connected through the USB connection.
- Open the HP printer software on your computer.
- Click Tools > Device Setup & Software > Convert a USB-connected printer or device to wireless.
- Complete the setup by following the rest of the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Disconnect the USB cable securely from the printer and your computer.
- Connect the printer to the wireless network. (Refer to the instructions given above for the same.)
- Install the printer on your Mac using the HP Smart app or the HP Easy Start software to complete the wireless setup.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6978 TROUBLESHOOT
The HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 troubleshooting process given below will help you in fixing the common problems. Contact us to get real-time technical assistance in fixing your printer problems.
- Restart the OfficeJet printer if you’re facing a problem for the first printer time.
- After restarting the printer, check if the problem is fixed. If not, perform the necessary solutions to fix it.
- Ensure that the printer’s hardware setup is done correctly.
- Check whether the latest version of the printer driver is installed on your computer.
- If not, install it.
- Print the printer report to know the exact status of the machine.
- Check if any error message or code is displayed on your printer or computer screen. If yes, clear it by performing the necessary troubleshooting solutions.
- Restore the printer settings to default if they are configured incorrectly.
- Select Setup on your printer’s Dashboard.
- Tap Printer Maintenance > Restore > Restore Settings.
- Choose the options you wish to restore and tap Continue > Yes.