How To Setup Modem and Router?
To access the Internet from multiple devices, you have to establish a connection between your router and modem. Refer to the step-by-step guidelines provided on this web page to know how to set up a modem and router.
- Take a coaxial cable and connect one of its ends to a wall outlet from your ISP.
- Plug the other end of the coaxial cable into the correct port on the modem.
Step 2 - Turning on the modem
- Connect the power cable to the modem and an electrical outlet.
- Now, the modem will turn on by itself.
- If it does not, locate the Power button and press it.
Step 3 - Modem and router connection
- Take an Ethernet cable and plug an end into the Ethernet port of the modem.
- The other end of the Ethernet cable should be connected to the WAN or Internet port of the router.
Step 4 - Turning on the router
- Connect the router’s power cord to an electrical outlet.
- Now, the router will turn on automatically.
Step 5 - Router and computer connection
Take another Ethernet cable and connect it between the LAN port of the router and your computer.
Step 6 - Verification
- Check if all the LEDs on the router and the modem are lighted.
- This indicates that the connection has been established correctly.
Step 7 - Access the router’s web interface
- Launch a web browser, type the router’s default IP address in the address field, and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Provide the router’s login credentials in the Username and Password fields.
- Once you click the Sign in button, you will be redirected to the web interface page of the router.
- Make sure to update the router’s firmware to a newer version.
Step 8 - Configuring wireless network
- Go to the Wireless web page and enter a new network name in the SSID field.
- Choose WPA/WPA2 as the encryption type and set a password for the wireless network.
- Save the wireless network settings.
- Remove the Ethernet cable that is connected between the router and the computer.
- Now, you can connect to the router wirelessly using its SSID and password.
- By using these steps on how to setup modem and router.